Thursday, October 02, 2008

Joe Arpaio: The toughest Sheriff but affraid to a public debate.


Joe Arpaio running again for the same seat in Maricopa County, Arizona but One of the traditional ways voters use to learn about candidates is the candidate debate. In this election, Joe Arpaio has made it clear that he has no intention of sitting on a public stage with his opponent. Why would Joe Arpaio deny voters this most traditional means of comparing candidates? Why is "America's Toughest Sheriff" afraid to defend his record in a public forum?

Quite simply, he knows that if he were to stand next to a real law enforcement professional he will have to answer tough questions that he doesn't want to answer. He will have to be accountable for abusive policies that simply don't work.

What’s he going to say?

Vote for me: I've been sued over 5,000 times since I took office?

Vote for me: according to the County Risk Assessment office I have over $42M in lawsuit losses with over $100M in pending claims?

Vote for me: my deputies and detention officers are some of the lowest paid in the state?

Vote for me: I'm the only one of the top 20 largest county sheriff’s offices in the United States without a warrants detail?

Vote for me: I tell my employees to do without paper clips and staples and training while I approve senior staff to travel to Honduras on taxpayer money?

Vote for me: except for a Board of Supervisors who continually gives me supplemental budget allocations to cover up my excessive spending, I can’t live within my budget?

Vote for me: I've had 60 people die under my care in the last three years, many of which will only add to taxpayer's lawsuit liabilities?

Vote for me: I'll gladly arrest U.S. citizens and hold them for hours if I think they don't fit a particular racial profile?

Vote for me: despite studies that show my jail policies don't reduce repeat crime and wastes taxpayer dollars, I won't change anything because it gets good press?

We can go on and on. But with a record like that, would you want to debate? He’d lose. He has been invited to debates throughout the county and he’s has cowardly run from them. He doesn’t want voters to see who he really is and examine his real record.

No comments: